Meet the newest members of the family!

;) Nope, not pregnant, they are crustaceans!

When we went on vacation, we saw tons of little hermit crabs on the beach and in stores. Cayleigh and I thought they were neat and had to have them, Matt not so much.

Some days I suppose I don't give him enough credit for being the sensible one.

I argued that this was just something you do as a kid and you need this life experience, and we were robbing her of this childhood memory, and she may in fact be scarred for life. Yes, yes, I know I should be up for an Emmy for most dramatic. So, on the last day of vacation we went to one of those little shops where everything is worth a dollar but they charge $30 and got 2 hermit crabs. On our way home, she decided there names would be Jason Aldean and Daphne. Yes, after the country singer and girl in scooby doo.

And we all lived happily ever after??

Well, yes until Daphne kicked the bucket 2 days later. Matt and I debated on how to tell her. What do any good parents do when their 4 year old's pet dies suddenly?

Lie.

I told her that Daphne got really homesick and missed her mommy and went back to the ocean. She was sad, but pondered one question....
Mommy, why did Daphne leave her shell in the tank?? Note to self, when a hermit crab dies, do not leave the shell.

And so off we went to the pet store in hopes of finding a nice girl for good ole' reliable Jason Aldean. We also bought bottled salt water, new sand and coconut husk, and a few new crabs. Yes, we are suckers. PS-who new you could buy bottled salt water?? It's like the beach in a 16oz water bottle-in case you care, it's $4.

We left with Popcorn and cookie dough. Certain they would exceed the time frame, they did come with a 2 week warranty. Well, darned if that stupid popcorn didn't die. So, what do you do when your 4 year old asks what has happened to her beloved popcorn?

Lie.

This time we said popcorn had a broken leg so we were going to take him to the store so they could take care of him. We ended up getting 2 new ones, Chocolate and Vanilla.
Sigh. Is anyone still reading?? Did I mention this all happened within 2 weeks? That darn husband never even said I told you so-see why I love him?

A few days later we lost Jason Aldean and Vanilla. We decided to be honest, as I had run out of ideas of where they could have gone and she was starting to get sad that they just didn't like her house for. She sobbed for poor ol' Jason Aldean.

So now we are down to 2. They seem quite lively and I have to be honest-she loves them. She plays with them, helps me feed/water them, and she came home from school one day with a family tree project with their names on it.

So without further adieu-I know you are on the edge of your chair, here are the toughest in the pack-Chocolate and Cookie dough!!


These are Cayleigh's "crazy boys" and we love that cookie Dough(left) always looks like he is waving. Chocolate, a bit more subdued still seem to be trucking along.
Photobucket

Comments

Krystal said…
This entire post made me laugh out loud... i love the broken leg excuse!

Have you thought about getting Cayleigh a hamster (in a couple of years)? They require a bit more care and responsibility, but they can also be more 'hands-on' type pets that she can play with. I have very fond memories of our childhood hamsters. =)
lmcarmitage said…
It depends on who you ask-I have thought about it, again Matt, not so much...I always wonder why he won't go along with ideas I have??? lol!

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2 of the snow....

10 is...

8/21 and 8/22...